Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Educational or not?

Just like my son, Seandy, my daughter who is now 19 months loves to watch DVD. Her favorite now is Barney. Every morning when she wakes up she would always ask me to open the DVD to watch Barney. I love it since she gets to learn a lot of things. She can sing a lot of songs now. That's one thing we enjoyed doing together - singing.

But now, I got confused when I read the article that Walt Disney Company is now offering refunds for all those “Baby Einstein” videos that did not make children into geniuses.

It says in the article that the "Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood" group went to the Federal Trade Commission to complain about the educational claims made by the distributor of the videos. They said that the full refund offered by the company is already an acknowledgment for their complaint. It also said that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no screen time at all for children under 2. They said this could hurt children’s physical and mental health. And, could also create attention problems by the time they reach age 7.

I remember my college days when we used to have debates about the Television being an Idiot Box.

I think moderation is always best.

No comments:

Post a Comment