Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sad - Sad 2012

The Ati-Atihan, held every January in the town of Kalibo in the province of Aklan on the island of Panay, is the wildest among Philippine fiestas. Celebrants paint their faces with black soot and wear bright, outlandish costumes as they dance in revelry during the last three days of this week-long festival.


It's this time of the year again here in Aklan. A time most Aklanons are waiting. I guess the most anticipated event during Ati- Atihan is the "Sad-Sad". This is the time when different groups get out of the street, to parade, dance with the beat of the drums, shout, drink - have fun.

Schools also participate in this event. A schedule is set for all High Schools to do their "Sad-Sad". Last year, I was not able to join since I was in a seminar.

The Ati-Atihan, a feast in honor of the Santo Niño, is celebrated on the second Sunday after Epiphany. Catholics observe this special day with processions, parades, dancing, and merrymaking. The Santo Niño has long been the favorite of Filipinos and devotion to it has been intense ever since an image was first presented to Juana, Queen of Cebu, in 1521.


Ati Atihan is a religious tradition, which means that since not everyone here in Aklan is Catholic, not everyone is celebrating it. I do not believe in tradition but I am joining because it is a school activity and I have to look after my advisory class.

Earlier, one of my students approached me and with teary eyes told me someone from the office talked to her and asked her why she would not attend the "Sad Sad". She was so brave in telling me that it goes against what she believed in. However, the person from the office questioned her and told her she has to attend because it's not about religion - it's a tradition. She also told me that another person questioned her being a Filipino because she would not participate in a Filipino Tradition.

I told my student not to attend. I told her she has to stand firm on what she believes in. The bible is clear in saying that if you are doing what you think is wrong then you are sinning, and if you ask someone to do something they think is wrong, you are also sinning. 1 Corinthians 8: 12 "And when you sin against other believers by encouraging them to do something they believe is wrong, you are sinning against Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment