Friday, September 2, 2011

The Time is Now

The last post on this blog was the speech that I made for our Buwan ng Wika celebration. Now, I am posting another speech that I made that my student will use in an Oratorical Contest that he will be joining.



This is written in a point of view of a youth.



First week of August 2011, the world was taken aback by the turn of events that took place in London, the capital of Britain. It was branded as Britain’s worst rioting, at least in my generation. It is not that riots are unheard of nowadays, but what caught my attention was that these riots were facilitated by the youths. As reported by the news, most of the looters and vandals are under 20 years of age – purely hooliganism?



As I watch the news unfold day by day, I could not help but think and wonder. According to Dr. Jose Rizal, youth is the hope of our nation. Success lies in the hand of every youth. Whatever happened to these hopes of the nation?

Am I focusing too much on the negative? On the contrary, I would like to think I am very positive. Elementary Science taught me that the very first step in solving the problem is to know the problem. Recognizing the root cause helps a lot in prevention.



Our parents are working hard for us, every drop of their sweat and blood is for our future, but did we ever give attention to these? All we ever have to do is to finish our studies and be a good person in order to return their sacrifices for us. Yes, it is their responsibility to care for us, to ensure that we are given proper education and our needs are provided, but are we worthy enough of their sacrifices? Now is the time to see.



I can still vividly remember the words of our dear President Benigno Aquino III on his State of the Nation Address few months back. He raised a question for every one of us to answer. Using his exact words he asked, “Hindi ba tayo nagagalak, Filipino tayong nabubuhay sa ganitong panahon?” I am a youth of today’s generation. I AM the hope of the nation.



When I was younger, I admire other nationalities. I look at their skin, their height, their eyes and I would feel inferior. I often times imagine how my life would be if I were not born a Filipino. Would I think differently? Talk differently? Reason differently? As years go by, I gradually discover how great the Filipinos are. This realization brought me to my senses. I am a Filipino. God made me a Filipino. Therefore, I am great! I must act.



We may not be rich but our values speak about who we truly are. As I look and observe around, good things are enfolding. I can see that there is really hope. We can now feel the rising of the explosive and talented new breed of Filipinos. How can I be complacent when my teachers are pushing me to excel in everything? How can I not care, if even just the way we hold the flag is being scrutinized? How can I not succeed if they see only the very best in me?



The values that the adults are now passing on to the youth are so much and so strong to be forgotten, to be ignored. The adults are opening my eyes to see what a Filipino youth should be like - one that is pushed to the height for my country. I am entrusted to raise our Race.



The Philippines, has slept enough. I can now imagine the times when other countries would look up to us, when other nationalities would envy us and wish they were born Filipinos.



We should never lose our hope. As William Carey said, “Attempt great things, dream great things.”



If Rizal is living today, if he can see the unstoppable change that is happening to the youths, I know he would be able to say that he was right and glad that the time has finally come for the sun to rise again in the East.



As the hope of the nation, I am committed to the advocacy for the good of our country. My dear fellow youths, it is time to wake up. It is never too late, now is the time for us to do the responsibilities that are given to us. Now is the time to prove that we, the youths, are the fruits of the past, handlers of the present, and the designers of the future. This is the time for us to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment