Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Happy Independence Day!!!!

I have done something wonderfully weird when I was a freshman in college.

I was in my room studying for my History class quiz. I read about the time when Emilio Aguinaldo declared our Independence last June 12, 1898. I read about the battle in Intramuros. It was stated that after the “mock battle” in Manila, the Spanish surrendered to the Americans, but no Filipinos were allowed to enter the city! Ouch! We can’t enter our own territory?!

Then I came to read about the time when our Flag was first raised and the Philippine’s National Anthem was first played in public. It was then that I felt the Nationalism inside of me. I stood up and sang our National Anthem, placed my right palm over my chest, and tears were falling on my cheeks. I realized I love my country so much. Our country has already suffered a lot!

June 12, 2008 marks the 110th anniversary of the declaration of the Independence of the Philippines from Spain. I still remember that weird thing I did 10 years ago.

Happy Independence Day to my beloved country – the Philippines. No matter what happens, I will always love my country. And I will always be proud to be a Filipino.

P.S.

I thought it was weird because I have never cried before while singing the National Anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment