Wednesday, January 7, 2009

If you're happy and you know it...




My son, asked me to read one of his favorite books yesterday.

It was the book called “If you’re happy and you know it.” I would have to sing the lines and he will act it out. So I started singing it. “If you’re happy and you know it, Clap your hands…..” and then he acted it out.

There was a part there were it says, “If you’re happy and you know it give a hug.” He suddenly stood still. I asked him why he is not hugging me. He whispered to me, “Mommy, I’m shy.”

I did not know what to say. I immediately called his Lola’s attention and told him what happened as I smiled.

But deep inside I know I was hurt. And afraid. I never imagined he would grow up this fast. I just told him kissing or hugging us is not a thing to be ashamed of. I told him that he should never, ever, be ashamed of showing affection to his parents. He was convinced and gave me a big hug.

I have heard stories and read about it. About the time when the kids no longer want to be kissed in public or be held, but I guess I’m not yet prepared for it.

I know it will going to happen eventually and I have to be ready to face it. Maybe I was just overacting. Yeah, maybe I am.

Please mommies, help me clear my mind. Right at this moment, I can’t clap my hands.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Melody,

    I would say not to worry and just keep loving him…hugging and kissing him. I still kiss my 18 year old in public and He does not seem to mind. My 13 year old son kisses me all the time, too. Do not believe that this is something that has to happen…it does not…be natural with your son and keep loving him. That is my mommy of 5 advice.

    Love, Hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ganun daw tlaga kapag lumalaki na pero meron pa rin naman na kahit malalaki na affectionate pa rin sa parents nila.

    Nabasa ko dati post ni Jessie about his being so close to his mom, na kahit noong binata pa sya gusto nya katabi sa pagtulog. Sabi ko nga sana ganun din si Sean ka-close sa akin kahit binata na. Kaya nga minsan sabi ko sa kanya kahit big boy na sya wag syang mahihiyang i-hug at i-kiss kami.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww :( I won't be ready for that either.

    But I'd think that as long as you keep reminding him how it's not just okay to hug you but it's one of your favorite things ever, he'll probably never stop! Boys can be funny like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah they're right, as long as you'll keep on reminding them then it will not stop. There willbe nor endings on things like this. We should always show our affections to our children ever day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, if it far from the topic:
    is it possible anyone happy then he doesn't know it?
    but that is good idea I'll think about it!

    ReplyDelete